Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Forming wire mesh cloth - how to compress a cylindrical shape?

On Feb 8, 5:07*am, "Royston Vasey" wrote:
I'm forming some wire mesh cloth - that part is going ok.

The finished part needs to be compressed to fit into a pvc part - working it
in by hand results in scratching and marking of the pvc. I'm looking for
some ideas on how to compress the mesh part

One approach is to fix the wide end by electroplating, so it doesn't
expand when removed from the mandrel. Keeping a mesh in shape
this way is a standard tactic (among makers of electron lenses for
scanning electron microscopes, anyhow).