Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Forming wire mesh cloth - how to compress a cylindrical shape?

Royston Vasey wrote:
I'm forming some wire mesh cloth - that part is going ok.

The finished part needs to be compressed to fit into a pvc part - working it
in by hand results in scratching and marking of the pvc. I'm looking for
some ideas on how to compress the mesh part so it slips cleanly into the pvc
part. There's a few pics in the dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wire_screen.pdf

Here's an idea if you don't need to do many in a hurry. Make a recess in
a block of suitable material, maybe 15.5mm in diameter, and suitably
deep. Have it split down the middle. Place the wire form in to compress
it then fill the recess with water and freeze it. When frozen remove the
former and drop the wire form and ice slug into your PVC part and allow
the water to thaw.