Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Royston Vasey Royston Vasey is offline

Default Forming wire mesh cloth - how to compress a cylindrical shape?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 8:07 am, "Royston Vasey" wrote:
I'm forming some wire mesh cloth - that part is going ok.

The finished part needs to be compressed to fit into a pvc part - working
it
in by hand results in scratching and marking of the pvc. I'm looking for
some ideas on how to compress the mesh part so it slips cleanly into the
pvc
part. There's a few pics in the dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wire_screen.pdf

Could you hold it on the outside of the PVC with a press-on stainless
sleeve? Maybe cut a groove and wind wire around the screen to squeeze
it in, then press the sleeve on to cover and secure the sharp ends. Or
perhaps you can find a stainless key ring the right size.

A retaining sleeve on the inside could split the pipe.

If it really has to be inside maybe you could fold the rim back over
itself over a tube mandrel before cutting it so it would snap into an
internal groove.

jsw

You've given me an idea Jim, maybe I should "trepan" a slot into the end of
the PVC, fill it with urethan and just push the screen into the urethane.
Cheers.
_________
|_
| |