Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Two parties

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:34:04 -0500, the infamous Upscale
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 07:50:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 19:02:21 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita
And please do more research on your position. Explore the many books
out there which will give you both sides. It will amaze you. (It sure
did me.)

It's easy to quote some of the cases where someone has used a gun to
protect themselves from from some drug crazed person.

2 million.

And it's just as easy for me to quote the opposite, where guns have
led to accidental deaths.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html shows 776
accidental firearms deaths in 2002, and crime is down since then.
Maybe accidents are, too. So, what do you notice?

That's right. Guns are used 2,577.32 times more for self-defense. And
that's only the tip of the iceberg. Consider how many people don't
report NOT being mugged because they happened to be armed themselves.

Or how about I quote the statistics for innocent people being shot in
the US every year.

Please do. And what did you find? Ayup, most of them were shot by
our friends, the cops.

What about innocent people being killed in auto accidents? It's a
minimum of 4 times higher, and those are licensed drivers.

And I quote:
"The level of gun ownership world-wide is directly related to murder
and suicide rates and specifically to the level of death by gunfire."

What a smarmy, self-serving, nonsensical bunch of words THAT is.
Parse it for me, will ya?

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

Suicide is a self-inflicted wound and people kill themselves without
guns all the time, too. Find a valid stat, please.

Care see the statistics for gun deaths of children?
Look at the statistics for guns in the US.

According to the CDC, the rate of firearm deaths among children under
age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other
industrialized countries combined. American children are 16 times more
likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit
suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die in a firearm
accident than children in these other countries
http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/guns.htm

Hayseuss Crisco, Uppy. That wide range of 0-19 puts them directly
into gang ages. Take gang deaths out of there and watch the stats fall
to nearly nothing, comparatively.

Other than gang violence/suicide/homicide, more kids die from
_falling_ _down_ than they do from guns. "A firearm was reported to
have been involved in the deaths of 1107 children; 957 (86%) of those
occurred in the United States. Of all firearm-related deaths, 55% were
reported as homicides; 20%, as suicides; 22%, as unintentional; and
3%, as intention undetermined." works out to about 250 kids killed by
one of 235 million guns. That's a one in a million chance.

http://gunsafe.org/position%20statem...nd%20crime.htm
Better breakdown here. Please read it all, about 5 minutes worth.

Does that say *anything* to you? How many gun owners out there
properly lock up their guns?

Properly disciplined children are taught about guns and how not to
touch them. How many of these (few) children are gangbanger siblings,
where the banger leaves his gun out on the table, hmm?

How many children could have been saved
by the simple use of a gun lock?

A few. How many lives have been wasted because the keys weren't near
the gun when someone broke in? It cuts both ways.

Gun ownership is not as black and
white as most avocates paint. Buy a gun and you have self protection
at hand whenever it's needed. A purely ridiculous assumption. How many
gun owners out there have gone and bought their $200+ costing guns but
fail to buy the $1000+ plus proper safe to store it? Too many. Or
perhaps they don't buy the safe because they want the gun they easily
obtained should they be attacked? I'm willing to bet the amount is
much less than those unprotected guns that are stolen every year and
then wind up on the open market.

OK, finally, one I'll give ya. Not all guns are properly secured.

Berate me all you want, but the fact is that it works both ways. More
guns out there for protection, means more guns in the hands of people
who shouldn't have them.

And no guns out there means 2 million more successful muggings, rapes,
and murders every year. Which is worse, and why?
Convince me, eh?

I've never once said that guns haven't been useful in those cases
where one needs to project themselves. But, consider your example of
the woman defending herself? In reality, it's much more likely that
the druggy is the one who is going to have (and use) a gun, an easily
obtained gun. ~ A gun that was stolen from someone else who just
wanted to protect themselves.

No, but you said guns were designed only for one thing and you want to
take all guns away from people so they CAN'T protect themselves.
What's the difference that you didn't make that particular statement?

As I said, it works both ways and no matter how much you or anyone
else wants to argue for gun ownership, there's always examples of
cases where a simiarly reversed argument can and does apply.

But look at your skewed stats. sigh

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.