Hylourgos

Default Silly Question about Jigs - --

I've lived mostly in NV, NC, and TN, and I've heard it a good deal, as
a racist term mostly in its full form but sometimes the shortened
form, in lots of discourse--guess I've been keepin' worse company....

I don't see any harm in "jig" when the context is obviously
mechanical, but then again I'm not black and I don't have to worry
about being sensitive to those kinds of names. I won't presume to say
what should or should not be a sensitive issue for someone else.

If the context were in doubt I'd be happy to use the word fixture if
that makes someone else less defensive. No skin off my back...

Trying to keep my dogmas unfixed,

"CW" wrote in message news:BtNCb.533006$HS4.4072535@attbi_s01...
I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never heard
the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist overtones,
I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long and
hard to find a way to be offended by it.

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
CW,

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at: