Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Weight limit of 2X6 attic floor?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am nearing completion of my attic project. I recently put in an
attic stairs and putting in 3/4" OSB plywood for the floor, replacing
the old T&G planks I had up there. I live in a split level 50 year old
house. The attic is 2X6's spaced 16"OC. It spans approx 20' X20'.
Below are some walls forming a bedroom closet .Although I am not sure
if this is a load bearing wall for the attic, I would think it does
add some support. But realistically how much weight can be put up
there? Is there some sort of guidline?

Not very much according to my reference manual. A 2x6 16OC is only rated
for 30 live floor load to about 11'2". A 20 foot span 16" OC need at least
a 2x10 for a 30 pound live load.

For a 20 lb live load, limited storage with SYP joists 16" OC is good to
about 14.5 feet of span. This calculation includes the weight of a drywall
ceiling under the joists.

The good news is your old wood most likely is SYP and better than anything
you can buy today so I provided the ratings for Select Structural grade
instead of the lesser grades. I suspect you can exceed the numbers a little
with no real fears.

I would not fill it up and I would keep the heavy stuff to the sides. Sorry
to be the bearer of bad news.

--
Colbyt