Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wet or Dry Sandpaper Multi-grit pack?

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:59:52 -0500, Bill
wrote:

I've got a granite block and am set to try the "Scary Sharp" sharpening
technique on my planes and chisels.

I'll evidently require most of the standard grits of Wet or Dry (silicon
carbide) Sandpaper between 100 and 1200 (or so).

I obviously don't need box of 50 sheets of 100 grit, and 50 sheets of
150 grit, etc. (at $17.95 a box...).

Can anyone refer me to a site (or store) where I will be able to buy
several grits in a package (like 100, 150, 220), or (320, 500, 800), or
by the sheet, or any other way that makes more sense for my present needs.

Thank you,
Bill

Generally you pay more for sandpaper in smaller quantities. I know
WalMart sells 3M sandpaper packs in various grits. Home Depot sells
Norton, which I don't think it is quite as good as the 3M. Buying
150 and 220 grit in 50-count packs would make sense--these grits are
most often used. I keep extra papers weighted down to prevent the
corner from curling--other than that, sandpaper doesn't have a shelf
life. I like the cloth-backed sandpaper which is a red-pink color,
more expensive, but it lasts 2 or 3 times longer than the paper type.