Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt Bill Leonhardt is offline

Default Workmate Mods

On Feb 7, 8:13*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/6/2010 11:18 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The question was prompted by I have several units that I find very
useful and I was wondering what others had done to them to make them
even more useful.

I have two Workmates. I used them variously as small workbenches and
sawhorses until I built a couple of sawhorses and a modest workbench
designed to meet my specific needs. I equipped the bench with a good
vise and haven't needed/used the Workmates since.

I've seen router table and benchtop circular saw setups designed for use
with Workmates, but I suspect that in at least nearly every case those
were preliminaries to free-standing, more stable solutions.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I have two Workmates: a model 200 given to me new as a gift about
15-20 years ago and a model 400 I got from the trash and restored in
the last couple of years. These are among the handiest tools I own.
I added a clip-in drawer I got from B&D which holds all the dogs and
extra clamps (lateral and vertical) that I got from B&D.

I have an old Sears router and router table that is mounted on a base
that fits nicely in the 200. Puts the router at a good height. The
router has a round-over bit installed (I have another dedicated router
and large table) and I pull it out to knock the edges off of projects
when applicable.

I plan on mounting a scroll saw to a base in the same way as the
router table to use with the 200. One nice feature is that the
Workmate has two working heights so I can lower the scroll saw for the
grand kids to use.

I do find that you have to be carefull, as someone mentioned, not to
lose the rubber feet. I lost one of my small ones.

I think these units are great. I belong to a woodworkers club and it
is very handy to bring one along when we are having a workshop on
dovetails or sharping or...

One downside of the two units I have is that they are different
heights. I have my eye out for a second model 200 so I can use them
in scaffolding.

I think this is a really great topic and it would be great for others
to chime in on the different ways they have used their WM.

Bill Leonhardt