Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:00:14 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Sometimes you want to use HSS cutters and not carbide.

Nothing like using Armstrong (who makes lanterns and holder to this day)
tool holder to cut plastic and stuff that needs a sharp edge.

Lanterns can be purchased from MSCdirect and other tool suppliers.

IIRC, Armstrong sells direct themselves.

Martin

Ignoramus14738 wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone who has a lathe capable of using a
quick change toolpost like Aloris, would still have any reason to ever
need a lantern toolpost.

My feeling on this matter, without knowing too much, is that lantern
toolposts are obsolete and quick change is the way to go, and there is
never a reason to use these old style tools.

Would there be anyone who disagrees with this.

I have some..some lantern tool posts, bases and rockers if anyone needs
anything. Ill check stock next weekend when I get back..if I get back
within 2 weeks again.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.