Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:08:40 -0800 (PST), John Martin
wrote:

On Feb 2, 10:53*am, Ignoramus14738 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14738.invalid wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone who has a lathe capable of using a
quick change toolpost like Aloris, would still have any reason to ever
need a lantern toolpost.

My feeling on this matter, without knowing too much, is that lantern
toolposts are obsolete and quick change is the way to go, and there is
never a reason to use these old style tools.

Would there be anyone who disagrees with this.

Yes. I disagree, and there will probably be many others.

The quick change toolposts are good. They are almost as rigid as a
one-piece tool block, and they are quicker and of course easy to
index. But there are times where you have to work in a tight area for
which they are simply too large. That's where the lantern toolpost
becomes necessary.

Use your lathe for a while. Eventually, you'll be glad you have the
lantern toolpost.

John Martin

And I agree. In fact...while a KDK lives MOST of the time on the
Hardinge HLV-H..I keep both a lantern and a small Hardinge turret tool
holder in the side cabinet. There are just enough times I need to work
either up next to the collet..or actually behind it, to use both of
them.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.