Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting plastic sewer pipe below a concrete slab

http://www.google.com/products/catal...423&sa=title#p

Some years ago, I got a call from some friends. The man of
the house had fallen in the bathroom, and now the toilet
wobbed, a lot. I got one of these. The old flange was cast
iron, with lead around it. Lucky for all of us, a couple
taps with the 24 ounce framing hammer broke the cast iron.
The new flange tightened with allen wrench, and the toilet
remounted reasonably well. Took some shims from the paint
department to steady the toilet from rocking.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 5:26 pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:22 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I need to replace a toilet flange and about a foot
vertical of pipe
that is below a concrete floor. There is about 1/4 inch
clearance
between the concrete and where the flange fastens to the
pipe. Is
there any kind of tool that is made for doing this. I am
considering
removing the table from my drill press, fastening a
cutoff disk to one
end of a long rod and chucking the other end in the
drill press to
make a saw that will reach down in the hole. Im pretty
sur ethis will
work but I didnt want to have to disassemble my drill
press to do it
especially if there is a $10 tool or something made for
this purpose.

Jimmie

This sounds like a good application for a Dremel. Just
curious why do
you need to remove a foot of pipe? Is the flange no good?

Flange is bad and there are a couple of splices below it
that have to
be removed. It looks like repairs have been attempted on it
before.
Not enough room for a dremel tool and my hand unless I want
to cut it
off an inch or so at a time. I may go out to Northern tool
and look at
some of their cheap drill presses though instead of tearing
mine
apart.

Jimmie