Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20464 Ignoramus20464 is offline

Default Some more lathe progress (some pictures and some without)

On 2010-02-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus26563 wrote:

1. I leveled it with a Starrett 98 level. Not completely perfectly,
but a good start.

2. Replaced speed and feed table.

OLD:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6367.jpg.html

NEW:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6371.jpg.html

How much did that bit cost?

$21 or so.

I ordered wipers for my lathe tonight. Not too pricey.

Btw, how much did you give for your lathe?

$500.

3. Installed a VFD. I do not like the way I mounted it, I will have to
redo it. Maybe I can get a monitor arm if any are thrown away at my
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Installation/

My lathe and mill are both running off a 5hp rotophase. I'm using 20a 125/250v twist
locks I bought at Home Depot to connect power to them. I like being able to remove power
from a machine when working on it.

That's a good idea.

I still have to wire it with the lathe's forward/reverse switch, but I
ran out of time last night.

Did you get it done today? How is it running?

Yes. It runs perfectly, exactly how I want.

If the VFD is controlled by external switches (the switch on the
lathe), it runs at 60 Hz. I can also change the VFD to work in panel
control mode and then it runs at the frequency I set on the display
Then I can set it to 10 Hz or whatever, like yesterday, when I was
machining the face of the chuck mounting plate.

This VFD that I installed, I had, and it had some minor cosmetic
damage (not visible on the photos) , so I could not sell it for a lot
of $$ but I had a great use for it.

It is also programmed for soft start and soft stop.