Posted to uk.d-i-y
Unbeliever[_2_] Unbeliever[_2_] is offline

Default Hall/Landing lights - convention.

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Most houses have the hall & landing lights two way switched, and
have 'upstairs lights' and 'downstairs lights' breakers/fuses.

I were changing a landing light fitting t'other day & pulling the
downstairs fuse left it on.

I thought the landing light took its power from the 'downstairs'
lights?
Is there an accepted way of wiring these up of is either
acceptable?

TMH,

Replying to TMH btw Clot

If you don't know what you are doing, then why are you playing with
such things in a "professional" capacity?

Oh dear, its the ****wit again. Don't you have a life? Are you
Unbeliever tonight? Or Tanner OP? Or Squared?

Unbeliever for sure - Tanner Op was an old dance hall - and Squared was
well... squared - and you are full of paranoia about one or two posting
here - nope, I definitely an Unbeliever!!

Did you check to see if the power was off before you started playing
with the wires? If you didn't, then that was two 'cardinal sins'
committed:

Of course I didn't check **** for brains, I regularly try to
electrocute myself. I only bought the volt stick & DMM because I
like the pretty red lights.

Yep, you like pretty "lights" don't you TMH, especially when you can't
understand how they work! And when are you going to "offer for sale" here
your "volt stick & DMM" as 'surplus stock'?

1 You lack the qualifications to carry out such work in any
capacity (amateur [as a handyman] or professional).

No I don't idiot boy. I can carry out any like for like replacement,
but you are clearly too ****ing stupid to understand that. Refer to
Part P of the Buiding Regs, but take it slowly, it contains long
words you won't understand.

I suspect that you are NOT qualified for the job - and you really do seem
incapable on occasions!

2 You lack knowledge of the required safety procedures to
carry out such work.

Of course I do. I look forward to electrocution on a daily basis.

A "bright spark" I see then - but a rather dim light most of the time!

Perhaps now that you are a handyman running a business, then perhaps
the HSE ought to be informed about your lack of safety procedures
(both for yourself and your customers safety) and asked to visit you
at your registered business address [1] to make you aware of them
before an accident (or incident) occurs.

Thats your problem isn't it ****wit. You always wanted to start a
business, but were a complete ****** who couldn't cut the mustard.
More likely your wife wouldn't let you. Promotion to 'foreman' was
your only achievement. This has left you so bitter & twisted you
attack anyone who has succeeded.

Never wanted the hassle of running a business or being ' t'boss ' - as for
"cutting the mustard", can't stand the stuff, as for being "bitter and
twisted" - well I must admit, it would be impossible to match you on that!

Note: that this really isn't a personal attack or wind-up ( I can't
be bothered tonight) but simply an observation from the comments and
questions that you post on this group - many of those really do
raise serious doubts as to your capabilities for *SAFELY* doing
some of the work you do as a "professional" Handyman.

Oh it isn't a personal attack? Then what is it? A constructive
comment? A helpful reply?

Just as it said - but you cannot stand anyone criticising you - in other
words, you like to give it, but certainly can't take it!

Its a personal attack from a bitter twisted ****** who failed to
achieve anything.

Achievements, I have many - but I don't brag about them here! Failed in
what? But yes, I have 'failed' (who hasn't) in some things - but unlike you,
I put them down to experience and learned from them

Remember that if a person is injured or killed by your incompetence
in doing a job, then it's you (as a sole trader) who carries the can
- along with possibly serving a stretch at 'Her Majesty's Pleasure'
and for paying any awarded compensation.

Just as well I'm a competant person who only does like for like
replacements, which fall outside of Part P of the Building Regs, and
that I carry £2 million public liability insurance, and have the
approval of Trading Standards.

Please describe what a "competent person" and what is the difference between
that and a "qualified person".

Does that insurance cover you for incompetence, and if you are relying on
that if things go wrong, well....that speaks volumes about you.

And are Trading Standards the same as the HSE? Try asking Trading Standards
to sort out a risky scaffolding etc - and see what they say! Conversely,
try reporting to the HSE the fact that a store is trying to con you out of
your rights to return faulty goods - they will be most polite in telling you
where to stick that complaint. ;-)

As I said, this is a valid observation, but I am expecting your
normal vitriolic reply to such comments - along with your favourite
acronym -- FOAD (but before you use that one, reflect on my last
paragraph)
-- so thinking of *YOUR* safety by preventing an incidence of
Repetitive Strain Injury - DON'T bother to reply if that's the
response.

Its not a valid observation you sad little ******, its a personal
attack to make you feel better about being an absolute failure in
life.

Are you a qualified electrician, are you a qulified trademan of any sort?

As for failure, that is a relative word, I suspect that you have failed in
many things - but your ego won't let you admit it!

The only Repetitive Strain Injury is you wanking youself silly.

Ah, another tosspot talking - but I suppose you spend too much time here
bragging about you exploits, asking for information (that you really should
know about as a pseudo- pro) and slagging-off the odd client or two - with
no time left for a bit of hand-relief on yourself - your life must be
awfully drab and soulless?

1 If you have one that is. If not, then your home address.

All on the website ****wit, 100% in accordance with the requirement
of Trading Standards.

Trading Standards is sod-all to to do with HSE - try looking it up.

Anything else to say? Bring it on so I can rip the **** out of you
again.

"Rip the **** out of..." - now that shows the level of your expertise! How
the hell can you rip a liquid out of something???? Bejusus and you reckon
that as a handyman, you're a pro? I think not!

--------------------

Hmm? TMH, was it the smidgeon of smoked eel on the hook or the
wriggling shrimp? You took that one hook, line and sinker I think.

Now replying to Clot

Not really Clot, but it elicited the reply that I expected - all great fun!

For what it is worth, the poster epitomises the Elfin Safety prats
that should be first aboard Douglas Adams' spaceship.

No I am not one of those "Elfin Safety prats".

Health and Safety interpretations really have gone too far in many instances
in this country - and that is down to the litigious culture being cultivated
by many who must blame anybody but themselves when things go wrong.

But I do believe that it has a part to play in the workplace, there are too
many killed in all industries for it not have that place - and TMH, as a
Sole Trader, should know that.