Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default Hall/Landing lights - convention.

Roger Mills wrote:
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
The Medway Handyman pretended :
Most houses have the hall & landing lights two way switched, and
have 'upstairs lights' and 'downstairs lights' breakers/fuses.

I were changing a landing light fitting t'other day & pulling the
downstairs fuse left it on.

I thought the landing light took its power from the 'downstairs'
lights? Is there an accepted way of wiring these up of is either
acceptable?

I would suggest - most usual would be on the upstairs circuit.

1. It is an upstairs light.

2. It would be easier to wire if done correctly [1].

3. It will usually be the lightest loaded circuit anyway.

[1] But be aware of neutrals being borrowed from other than the
circuit it is actually fed from.

Yes, but in my house, the hall and landing lights both have 2-way
switching - with one 2-gang switch in the hall and another on the
landing. Both lights are fed from the downstairs circuit. If the hall
were fed from downstairs and the landing from upstairs, you'd have to
turn off *both* breakers in order to isolate the switches - so that
*surely* can't be good practice?

Exactly my thoughts Roger.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman