Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Hall/Landing lights - convention.

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 20:15:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Most houses have the hall & landing lights two way switched, and have
'upstairs lights' and 'downstairs lights' breakers/fuses.

I were changing a landing light fitting t'other day & pulling the downstairs
fuse left it on.

I thought the landing light took its power from the 'downstairs' lights?

Is there an accepted way of wiring these up of is either acceptable?

Our are on the upstairs circuit and this has proved very useful - in the
early hours of one morning we walked in and turned the hall light on, a
bulb blew and tripped the breaker, but of course the other downstairs
lights were on their own breaker and so by opening the kitchen door, we
could get enough light to see the alarm keypad to disarm it before we woke
half the street!

SteveW