Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Faulty dehumidifier

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Lobster brought next idea :
I have a portable dehumidifier (Wickes own brand; I think it's a
compressor model?) about 18 months old which has stopped working.

The humidistat appears to be working in that if you turn it up, it
clicks in and the dehumidifer motor starts working; however the water
output container remains bone-dry.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong, and whether it's repairable or a
bin job?

A compressor type has a motor and you suggest a motor starts -so it is
indeed a compressor type. One more check you could do is on the cooled
matrix which should quickly become cold when the motor runs. If it is not
getting cold, then it has lost its gas. If it is only 18 months old, then
take it back and quote the Sale of Goods act to the supplier.

Just been having another look into this.

Am thinking maybe it's not a compressor model? - haven't wanted to open
up the case until I've decided whether it's going back or not.

Anyway, it's blowing warm air out the back (about 5 deg C above room
temp), and the fan cuts in and out as normal as you crank the humidistat
setting up and down. But the water reservoir is totally dry. And I think
the fan is the only motor though... not a compressor model, then?

Have found the receipt (it was from Wickes online) and it's actually 22
months old, and wasn't exactly a bank-breaker at 60 GBP. I still may try
the SOGA route (certainly the machine has only ever had light domestic use
and never been subjected to extremes of temperature) but just wondered
whether there was a simple repair I could do instead?

Thanks
David

If it has a compressor, then it will usually detail the gas on the back it
uses - does it have anything like "R410A" on the back?