Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Default Bad Cap

Hammy wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:42:24 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Hammy wrote:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:50:06 GMT, Bob Quintal
wrote:

baron wrote in
:

Attached pictures of a capacitor failure in a 6 months old
computer !

Capacitor failure or solder joint failure?

Does the voiding on End 1 actually penetrate the cap?

Are you seeing the same picture. There is clearly a rupture on
the cap from internal pressue obvious from the way the case in
bent OUT.

Case? I see a surface mount ceramic capacitor.

I'll be clearer. The end where the capacitor is actually soldered
to the board and where the "GAPPEING HOLE" is. I refered to this
as a "case" likely it is incorrect terminology but I figured it
would be obvious what I was talking about. I meant to say cap.
Give me a break it was 5:30 AM here when I wrote that.

What you are looking at is called the End Cap.

I see what appears to be the "cap" (refer to above if needed) or
whatever being pushed out from the inside. This is how I drew my
conclusion.The material has been pushed from the inside.

Having performed Destructive Physical Analysis (DPA) of thousands of
these little monsters over the last 30+ yrears, and knowing the
construction of them, I could conceive of moisture pushing out from
the sides, but not out from an end cap.These MLC (Multi-Layer
Ceramic) chips have a fairly solid end cap with half the plates
attached to one cap, the alternate ones attached to the other cap.

(View with fixed width font)

|-- |
| --|
End|-- | End
| -|
Cap|-- | Cap 2
1 | --|
|-- |

/\
Plates

The rms current rating was probably exceeded for the ambient temp
it overheated and Kabloowee!

I could see that if it were a Solid Tantalum Chip, but this does not
look like one.

It could also just have been a bumm cap it happens.

Or damage created by poor soldering technique that caused a humidity
driven failure.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.