Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Default Bad Cap

Hammy wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:50:06 GMT, Bob Quintal
wrote:

baron wrote in
:

Attached pictures of a capacitor failure in a 6 months old
computer !

Capacitor failure or solder joint failure?

Does the voiding on End 1 actually penetrate the cap?

Are you seeing the same picture. There is clearly a rupture on
the cap from internal pressue obvious from the way the case in
bent OUT.

When I look at the picture labeled chip-cap.gif, i see 2 horrible
looking solder joints. There is insufficient solder. The solder is
crystallized. There is insufficient solder in the meniscus.and it
shows evidence of insufficient heating I do not see any perceptible
bulging out of the cap at either end.

When I examine end-1.gif, I see what looks to be some excess solder
above the void, a horribly dewetted solder meniscus below the void,
and what look like a bunch of tin whiskers sprouting from the
meniscus.

The lighting of the capacitor is bad, failing to show detail of the
voiding, with a lot of reflection that masks the condition of the
meniscus.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.