Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default cutting ABS in situ - any super tools?

Bob F wrote:
Tony wrote:
Red Green wrote:

That is nice, maybe they won't tip over as easy. Maybe add a 3rd can
for stability. One thing in there I don't agree with is adding glue
to the outside of the joint after the joint is glued together. If
that extra glue is needed, then the joint is bad.

I thought I saw somewhere that for ABS, extra glue outside the joint is bad -
that it weakens the pipe or something.

It's not good on the outside, but it's really bad on the inside of the
joint. If there is a big glob of wet glue on the inside, then the pipe
is put into service/filled with water, there is no way inside for air to
get to the glue. So the glob of uncured glue works it's way out to air
by dissolving through the joint again until it reaches air. You don't
want cured joints getting dissolved from the inside out with pressure on
them. That's why they say to use less glue on the female fitting, so it
doesn't get pushed inside and take weeks to actually cure. I normally
wipe away the extra glue on the outside, NEVER put more on like in that
article. On the outside also excess glue will form a skin on top and
keep wet glue against the fresh joint not allowing it to fully cure in a
reasonable time.