Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryce[_2_] Bryce[_2_] is offline

Default Kenmore washer mystery

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:

I think you are exactly right. It sounds like it is a lint
filter. They had several different designs, with 2, 3 and
4 hoses on them. I think it traps the lint in the wash
cycle, and when it pumps the water out, the water is
flowing in the opposite direction, and the lint is washed
out the drain. Larry

There is a second slightly smaller bell inside. It's hollow
and sealed. Has same tapered sides as outer one, so tends
to float upward and restrict flow (which is always in the
same direction). Just a little lint causes the inner float
to jam in "up" position. This chokes the drain flow and
leaves water in the basket, because there's no water level
sensor - strictly a timer-driven cycle.

Water enters at bottom, tangential to rim, causing it to
swirl. Exit is at center of top and lies on axis of bell.
At first, I thought it was an anti-siphon device. But
that's not it as it restricts flow out of washer. Very
mysterious!