Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Shock Absorbers (Dampers), again

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 00:50:14 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:43Â*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:10:18 -0800, wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:03Â*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
A 120 pound gate, 18 feet long and 3 feet high, hinged at one of the
lower corners and supported by a damper that is pivoted to the top
corner and working at a 45 degree angle, puts a 510 pound load on
the damper _just_ to keep the gate still -- decelerating the gate
takes even more load, to the tune of 1700 pounds if you want to
close the gate in one second (that's assuming constant deceleration
over 45 degrees in 1/2 second).

(I decided I didn't want to close it that fast).

Anyone who suggested a fire-door damper -- where can I find one
that'll support a ton?

--www.wescottdesign.com

Tim, there is a place NW of Redmond that has a heavy steel gate with
a similar pivoting scheme. He has a chain drive an an electric motor
to raise and lower the thing. It is not 18 ft long, but is still
pretty heavy.

Could you construct a similar mechanism for your gate?

Yabut. Â*We're far enough out in the boonies that we lose power at least
once every winter, and the power line from the shop to the gate is
hosed and needs to be replaced -- I not only need a round tuit, I need
to rent a @#$% ditch witch _and_ figure out where the old line is.

So whatever else it does, it has to work manually, at least sometimes.

--www.wescottdesign.com

Just power up the old line and dig crossways to it. You'll know as soon
as you hit it.
Karl

Aw dangit -- that's such a good idea, but its got a dead short that blows
the breaker immediately.

But thanks for the help -- maybe next time I'll be able to use it.

--
www.wescottdesign.com