Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Nagano Mini-excavator

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 07:00:12 GMT, (John
Normile) wrote:

The pinion has two ground bearing surfaces plus a spline on one end
and the gear on the other end. Being of Japanese manufacture, I
assume both the gear and spline are metric. I am looking at reparing
the existing pinion shaft, but want to explore finding a replacement
first.

Perhaps a last resort, but I just had a couple gears that need to be
duplicated quoted by these folks.
http://www.wgear.com/

One part was a non-standard (extended pitch) 8DP pinion on the end of
a shaft, with two bearing seats and a locknut thread, made from 4150
with induction hardened teeth. The price was about $900 for two
pieces, including an engineering charge to measure and document the
original gears.

By no means cheap, but it didn't seem unreasonable to me.

--
Ned Simmons