View Single Post
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Looking to upgrade nailers -- Is Rockler deal a good one?

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:25:57 -0800, "CW" wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 06:49:57 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

BTW, stay off the Rockler/WWJ mailing list or they will send you books and
DVD's you didn't order
then hound you to pay for them. Rockler/WWJ first pulled this stunt about
4 years ago, and did it
again last summer. They have not gotten a nickel of my money for almost 4
years and never will
again. There are ethical companies that sell the same products.

Been getting Rockler's sale flyers for at least ten years. That's all they
have ever sent me. They must like you.

Heh, yea, right. They must have thought I was more stupid than I look. Consider yourself lucky to
be below their radar. Maybe the other victims had once have had a subscription to woodworkers
journal, owned by rockler, rather than just being on the rockler mailing list itself? There are a
couple big threads in the archives about the first time they pulled this stunt. Threads start in
Feb 2005 and run through May. (search string is - woodworkers journal book - if you want to look it
up) One guy claimed he was being hounded by bill collectors they set on him.

I used to subscribe to their mag and buy a good bit of stuff from them and their local store.
Losing my business won't break rockler since I spend maybe a grand or two a year for tools, shop
equipment and hardware, but at least I know they no longer get a penny of it. As I mentioned
earlier, there are many ethical companies out there who would never stoop to a trick like this. Why
support the unethical ones? The then-editor of Popular Woodworking actually jumped into that
discussion (Feb 2005) to make those points. I still have a subscription to that magazine.

Have a great day!

Roy