Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Anybody need an air bearing spindle ?

On Feb 4, 12:38 am, Jon Elson wrote:
I just picked up a Professional Instruments
BlockHead 4R air bearing
spindle assembly. It has an integral motor,
resolver, brake and shaft
encoder. It was used in a disk drive development
lab, and currently has a
pneumatically activated clamp for a disk platter
mounted on it.
But, looking at the company web site (still in
business, the 4R is still
a current model) they use these for precision
grinding and other tool
applications, too. It is rated for 10,000 RPM,
and has a radial stiffness of
0.67 Lbs/microinch. I don't know the details of
the motor, whether it is
3-phase induction or PM brushless. It appears to
be unused, as it still
has the factory shipping lock on the spindle.

This is a big unit, seems to weigh about 40 Lbs.
Does anyone have
any use for such an item (before I list it on eBay)?

Jon

I might have a use for it. What is the overall length?