Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default reversing contactors (or motor starters), let's dismantle and modify

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:02:57 -0500, dave
wrote:

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

If you only need one side,
you could just ignore the second set of poles and consider it a spare
standby contactor, ready to be swapped in with just a few minutes work.

YEAH! now THATS'S what I like to hear. :-) (seems it's as I suspected),
but I sure *DO* appreciate the confirmation

thanks stuart, and thanks to U 2 william :-)

AFAICT it's a "Forward" coil and contactor and a "Reverse" coil and
contactor in the same case, with both electrical interlocking contacts
(to break the other side's coil) and a mechanical linkage between the
two sides, to make doubly sure they can't both pull up at the same
time.

Don't touch anything, just disconnect the cross-over wiring and use
it as a single. The first time it burns a contact you can steal a set
of fresh contact points out of the other side. Second time, you go
get a rebuild kit.

They use the same basic setup as a Delta-Wye "Soft Start" contactor,
with an auxiliary contact or two to handle the Delta-Wye shorting of
the Wye point connections. They use them a lot on frequently started
motors like hydraulic elevator pumps.

-- Bruce --