Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Can I decrease the heat loss?

On Feb 5, 9:28*am, willshak wrote:
C & E wrote the following:

I know that the answer in relative terms is 'yes', but in practical
terms can I wrap insulation around my three year old water heater and
make a noticeable difference? *If so, what kind of insulation?

Many years ago, in the '70's, I installed a remote swith to the water
heater at the toop of the stairs. *Before going off to work and at
bedtime I turned off the electricity going to it. *I also wrapped the
tank in 3.5" of fiberglass insulation. *It made a huge difference in
our electric bill but I understand that I'm talking about a huge
difference between the two tanks. OK, be gentle. *I have a bad...
well, I can't think of anything that isn't bad! *TIA, Chuck.

Put your hand on the heater case. Is the outside hot? If so, then you
need extra insulation. If it is room temperature, you don't.
I have a 4 year old, 40 gal. GE propane heater. The outside is 72 F

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

the best way to save money on hot water is to turn the temperature
setting down. Turn it down to the point where you need to use almost
full hot to take a shower. Also if you have a mixing valve, close it.
Mark