Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Looking to upgrade nailers -- Is Rockler deal a good one?

Evodawg writes:
blueman wrote:

My first plunge into pneumatic nailers involved buying a bunch of
el-cheapo Harbor Freight nailers -- they work well if you don't mind
not infrequent misfiring (say 1 in 10-20), don't mind that the depth of
penetration is not uniform, and if you don't care about the shoe marring
the surface of the wood . I actually, don't mean the above as a
negative comment because such flaws are to be expected for a $20 tool.

HOWEVER, I am now looking to upgrade but since I am only a "hobbyist", I
am looking for reasonable quality at reasonable prices.

Rockler has a pair of Porter-Cable 18 gauge (BN200A) and 23 gauge (PIN
100) nailers on sale for $150. The separate price even on Amazon is
about $220. Both tools seem to get very positive reviews on Amazon (4+
stars). The only disadvantage I can see is that the BN200A has been
replaced by the BN200B.

So,
- Has anybody had any experience with those models?
- Is it a bad, OK, good, or fantastic deal for $149.99?

Thanks

Have both and have no complaints. Always work, just keep them lubricated
and cleaned and they should work for many years. Believe the ones for sale
at Rockler are rebuilt, but I have had good luck with older PC rebuilds.

This deal appears not to be a rebuild -- or at least the ad doesn't
mention that (while other adds typically mention rebuilt).