Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Update to Staining Question

On 2/5/2010 7:40 AM, Evodawg wrote:

Try a brown paper bag ... won't hurt and may be all you need.

I'll give that a try. I don't want a gloss finish that's why I used the
Satin Poly. I probably used the wrong term, "glass" finish. Just want it
super smooth not high gloss. Would steel wool take to much poly off or
just dull the finish?

The paper bag trick will "smooth" the finish out, but will not
noticeably change the "gloss" or shine. Brown paper is an abrasive, but
mildly so.

Steel wool is much more abrasive and will definitely dull the gloss, to
a satin, less so if it's used with a lubricant like wax, provided you
use it lightly.

If you rub steel wool with enough pressure you will remove the finish,
so a light hand is needed, and a test piece is mandatory if you value
the original.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08