Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Shock Absorbers (Dampers), again

It seems a bit confusing, when you stated in an earlier post that the gate
is a scissors-type gate, and they're normally opened and closed horizontally
(not vertically).

I wouldn't consider lifting something of that length and weight to be a safe
(or practical) method of entry/exit.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
A 120 pound gate, 18 feet long and 3 feet high, hinged at one of the
lower corners and supported by a damper that is pivoted to the top corner
and working at a 45 degree angle, puts a 510 pound load on the damper
_just_ to keep the gate still -- decelerating the gate takes even more
load, to the tune of 1700 pounds if you want to close the gate in one
second (that's assuming constant deceleration over 45 degrees in 1/2
second).

(I decided I didn't want to close it that fast).

Anyone who suggested a fire-door damper -- where can I find one that'll
support a ton?

--
www.wescottdesign.com