Posted to rec.woodworking
Evodawg Evodawg is offline

Default Update to Staining Question

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Well... steel wool is generally used to create a satin finish. If you
really want glass flat you need to do grain filler first and it
wouldn't be to easy with Oak. I think maybe you want to be sure to use
"Gloss" or even "High Gloss" if you can find it and spray it pretty
wet.

The other way is to go to rotten stone or pumice, read up on it. You
basically sand at00 400, 800, 1000, 2000 and even higher. Lots o work
and not easy. If you go this way be sure to let the poly fully cure.
Also not sure it is really possible with poly usually done with
lacquer.

I'll give that a try. I don't want a gloss finish that's why I used the
Satin Poly. I probably used the wrong term, "glass" finish. Just want it
super smooth not high gloss. Would steel wool take to much poly off or
just dull the finish?