Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chipped paint at church (OT)

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:01:36 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yeah, it's not alt church repair. Oh, well.

My 20 year old church building has a bunch of chipped wood
work. Doors, in particular take a beating.

Most of the chips are well smaller than a dime. I've been to
Home Depot, and looked. One product is a "paint pen" with
bit of foam for applicator. Need to rinse the foam tip every
night after use. The other is aerosol like shaving cream
that you rub in. Yet another choice is can of stain, and put
it on with a foam brush or cotton swab.

Who has experience with hiding chips? Any ideas how to not
make the usual mistakes?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I am assuming these are stained. Other than sanding and a staining again
nothing works as well as I would like.

The felt tipped markers (think magic marker) in the proper color do an easy
touch up about as well as it can be done.

The furniture touch up guys use about the same thing except some of their
stuff is wax based to level the area a bit. Never asked the guys where they
bought it but if you don't know where the spot was they can make it hard to
find.

I doubt the BORG will have what you need. Look for "furniture touch" kits
online for the best selection.

Colbyt

"burn in sticks" do the best job. Basically a melt-in laquer stick -
much more durable than wax and high fill when required to level a chip
or gouge.