Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Looking to upgrade nailers -- Is Rockler deal a good one?

My first plunge into pneumatic nailers involved buying a bunch of
el-cheapo Harbor Freight nailers -- they work well if you don't mind
not infrequent misfiring (say 1 in 10-20), don't mind that the depth of
penetration is not uniform, and if you don't care about the shoe marring
the surface of the wood . I actually, don't mean the above as a
negative comment because such flaws are to be expected for a $20 tool.

HOWEVER, I am now looking to upgrade but since I am only a "hobbyist", I
am looking for reasonable quality at reasonable prices.

Rockler has a pair of Porter-Cable 18 gauge (BN200A) and 23 gauge (PIN
100) nailers on sale for $150. The separate price even on Amazon is
about $220. Both tools seem to get very positive reviews on Amazon (4+
stars). The only disadvantage I can see is that the BN200A has been
replaced by the BN200B.

So,
- Has anybody had any experience with those models?
- Is it a bad, OK, good, or fantastic deal for $149.99?

Thanks