Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - How Unique!

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:040220101822126674%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Bruce
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:12:23 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote
(in article ):

I think my brother has my old timing light & dwell meter.

I still have both of mine (dad's old strobe timing light and vacuum
meter), and they have about 1/4" of dust on them now, under my toolbox
in a metal case, my dwellmeter in the bottom of the box.

Vacuum gauges are still very handy for engine testing....

But as there's no way for a home mechanic to REPAIR an engine, why
bother?

Oh stop. I still repair all of my vehicles. The oldest I own is my truck
(and it's an antique...) which is a '94. Our two other cars are 04 and 06.
I have not sent a car in for service (unless I just did not feel like doing
the work), for as long as I have owned vehicles.

True - today's vehicles take a different sort of repair effort than the old
days of throwing in a set of points and setting the dwell angle, but they
are very repairable in the home garage - without tens of thousands of
dollars worth of equipment.

Repair an engine? Of course you can. Why would you say you can't? Get
past the electronics of today's cars and what is so intimidating about the
engine?

The upside is you really do not have to repair much on today's engines.
They really do run quite reliably for 200,000 miles. Yeah - there are
ancillary systems that support the engine that you have to mess with from
time to time, but those are very much within the reach of any home mechanic
that is any kind of mechanic at all.

--

-Mike-