Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default Half nuts disengage by themselves

On 2010-02-04, Ed Huntress wrote:
And look for settled gunk in the apron.

Regarding taking off apron: I did try this once. It did not work: the
"carriage locking screw" would not unscrew all
the way. I did not want to force it and I had other issues, so I gave up
and
moved on to other things, but now is the time to look at it. The carriage
locking screw connects to a plate under the carriage, so
that when you tighten it it grabs the bed. The screw unscrews, but stops
midway and I wanted to know if I am
doing something wrong or should just use a bit more force.

Geez, I'm not sure. Is this a classic Atlas, or a Clausing industrial
lathe? I know the Atlas pretty well, I'm the moderator of the
Atlas-Craftsman group on Yahoo. I wouldn't be too surprised if
there is something to prevent the clamp plate from completely unscrewing
and falling into the half-nut mechanism. I don't think the Atlas had such
a protection. Anyway, you should be able to run the carriage at
least partly off the right end of the bed to examine the parts. Take the
tailstock off and then remove the right-end leadscrew bracket.

Jon

My Atlas 1/2nuts always are disconnecting from the drive screw. What should
I look at there?