Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Machining a ball

I made a mount for my Nuvi using a standard ball bearing for the ball -
heated it up to remove some of the temper and drilled it and threaded it,
and then made a shaft to fit and appropriate mounting bracketry to hold it
where I wanted it. I can't imagine any reason to make the ball - you can
order bearing balls in brass or various other materials as well off of ebay
or any of the usual suppliers

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:08:40 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:39:01 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

"mac" wrote in message
My Garmin NUVI 500 for my bicycle uses a ball mount. The one that I
purchase from a third party is hollowed plastic and broke from
vibration. I adapted the broken piece to my light bar and it broke
again at the ball.

snip