Posted to alt.home.repair
Wilfred Xavier Pickles Wilfred Xavier Pickles is offline

Default Matching Ceiling White (paint)

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:31:48 -0500, " wrote:

That stuff will mix OK? That'd be a help.

I do it for craft projects and anything else that needs "paint". Have
mixed varnish with artist oil colors to make paint for small items. Not
a factory formula, but the same basic idea. I've made stain in color to
suit me rather than spend money for a quart of unpredictable color. All
it had to do was soak into the wood and tint it the way I wanted )

Good enough. There weren't any shops with acrylics etc here in the
'hood, so ...

The simplest fix for your situation would be to get paint chips for
"ceiling white" and compare them to your ceiling under daylight and
artificial lighting (daylight should be most accurate). Get the color
made - or, if you are lucky, the box stores and some paint stores have
sample size containers

The guy at HD mixed 2 samples from chips I matched and donated a bit
of black to mix with if necessary. One sample was -very- close: the
other room had lousy lighting, chip was off. I tried mixing for it
but couldn't improve on the $3 sample that HD mixed.

So it's done. Not perfect by any means, but, after a year or so of
fading, collecting dirt, etc I doubt it will be readily noticable.
The one room is almost unnoticable already.

Much thanks for various responses.

Will