Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Watco Teak Oil

wrote in message

These products work by signaling the finisher that there is too
much
product on in an area by remaining wet in certain areas at the
time of
application. These wet areas indicate areas of excess
finishing
material that need to be removed to ensure an overall uniform
application.

Agreed, but don't overlook the ability to make dust-free built up
finishes this way. It was my finish of choice on many projects,
using Formby's modified Tung Oil, but I've used other finishes
thinned down as well. IMHO, the key to success is to apply the
first coat wet as can be, wipe it with your hands to spread it out
and keep wiping it as it cures to move material from the glossy
areas to the non-glossy ones. Once it's pretty uniform, then wipe
it dry with a cloth and let it cure for a while. Then, a light
going over with 220 paper, followed several more times with the
rubbed finish, wiped dry each time, light sanding. . . etc until
you're happy with the results.

In all my time building things in the shop, I seldom, if ever,
sprayed anything.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.