Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On 2010-02-03, danmitch wrote:
* * * * O.K. *I've seen holders for other systems which hold the tools
at strange angles....
* * * * * * * * DoN.

AFAIK this is the complete set of tool holders for the Swiss system:
http://www.top-maschinen.de/spannwer...ifix/index.htm

O.K. But this does not need holders with strange angles, because
the holder itself can be indexed in 9 degree increments.

What I was talking about was a holder for another system similar
to the Dickensen (I'm sure that I don't have that spelled right) system,
but not quite it. The holder, instead of holding the tool shank
parallel to a line tangent to the ways on the post holds the shank at
about a 30 degree angle to the tangent line. I forget the brand, but I
wound up with a holder for that system when I thought that I was bidding
on a holder for the Emco-Maier smaller Dickensen. Hmm ... it was
probably "Enco" that I confused. Anyway -- I exchanged it for one of the
right type that someone else had which did not fit *his* toolpost. :-)

I've never seen dedicated carbide insert holders, nor any of the other
variations the Aloris system provides, like drill chucks.

The drill chucks, and the Morse taper holders can be useful when
you are doing a lot of on-axis peck drilling when you need to do a lot
of pulling the bit back out to clear chips. Use the power feed,
disengage the feed, crank back with the carriage handwheel, tap to drop
chips, crank back in until the tip contacts, and re-engage the power
feed. A *lot* quicker than cranking on the handwheel for the tailstock,
but if you have a lever-feed tailstock, or a bed turret, it is not as
useful.

Come to think of it -- I also have a three-jaw cut knurling tool
on a Morse Taper shank which goes nicely in the Morse taper tool holder.
(A lot of things from eBay auctions -- certainly not bought at new
prices. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564