Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On 2010-02-04, Ignoramus26563 wrote:
DoN, I am very curious.

On the one hand, you can have this turning and facing holder, or its
knockoff ($70 on ebay).

*Is* there a knockoff of this on eBay now? I've seen some which
sort of look like it, but present the inserts corner first instead of
one edge first in the direction of cutting. Those, I would not have, at
least not as my regular tool -- though it might be nice for beveling and
chamfering edges -- assuming that it uses the same negative rake inserts
with the chipbreaker groove to make it effectively a positive rake cut.

On the other hand, you can have a regulr toolholder and insert
indexable lathe bits in it.

Two regular toolholders, and two insert holders and inserts.
*Good* insert holders (those with negative rake and support ships) are
expensive too. I've worked that way, and I far prefer the BXA-16N
double insert holder.

Would you say, as it seems, that the former is somehow better? Why?
Just because it is more rigid?

It is noticeably more rigid than an insert holder in a standard
holder.

It takes the place of two holders with tools.

I only have to have that one holder and a parting holder for
most turning that I do. Another holder for threading inserts.
(And of course other things like the dovetailed scissors style
knurling tool, and other things -- but mostly it is just the
BXA-16N and the parting tool swapping places in the tray on top
of the headstock. The others are in a drawer to my right.

Oh yes -- also one holder has a smaller shank tool holding a
small diamond insert holder ground (and *not* TiN coated) to
produce a very sharp edge for final finish when needed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564