Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Half nuts disengage by themselves

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you have the lathe running, set it to a slow speed/feedrate and wrap a
piece of heavy cotton cord ONCE ONLY around a groove in the leadscrew at one
end; pull hard on the cord; traverse the cord to the other end.

Soaking it in paint thinner, or, in a pinch, WD-40, will help clean out a
lot of gunk.

That is an excellent suggestion! Btw, if you haven't seen his model of lathe, it has a
rather fine pitched lead screw so a bit of dirt is a lot of dirt.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller