Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Can I decrease the heat loss?

Bill wrote:
"C & E" wrote in message
I know that the answer in relative terms is 'yes', but in practical terms
can I wrap insulation around my three year old water heater and make a
noticeable difference?

There should be a sticker on the heater that says what the energy
efficiency is. If the outside is warmer than the air, you can save
some energy...proportional to that temp difference.

An electric water heater can be 30% of your electric bill!

To get a drastic savings...

Use less hot water...
-water on for shower, then off - soap up, water back on to rinse.
-wash dishes by hand.
-wash clothes in cold water.
-get a water heater timer, hot for morning showers, warm rest of day.

when you did the math on this, what hot/cold temperatures did you use.
What's the thermal time constant of your water heater?

I never understood why people showered in the morning. You have to wash the
sheets more frequently.
Guess there are advantages for birth control, cause you're not
gettin' any if you stink.

-take fewer showers. Skip a day or two on weekends.

Get a solar water heating system which "preheats" the water.