Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Can I decrease the heat loss?

On Feb 4, 10:01*am, "C & E" wrote:
I know that the answer in relative terms is 'yes', but in practical terms
can I wrap insulation around my three year old water heater and make a
noticeable difference? *If so, what kind of insulation?

Many years ago, in the '70's, I installed a remote swith to the water heater
at the toop of the stairs. *Before going off to work and at bedtime I turned
off the electricity going to it. *I also wrapped the tank in 3.5" of
fiberglass insulation. *It made a huge difference in our electric bill but I
understand that I'm talking about a huge difference between the two tanks..
OK, be gentle. *I have a bad...
well, I can't think of anything that isn't bad! *TIA, Chuck.

Add more insulation, insulate the HW pipe with black foam slip on
insulation, some brands have a glue strip for complete seal, add
thermal unions or couplings at the water heater. Alot of heat is
wasted to the pipes. Turn down the temp of the heater.