Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Can I decrease the heat loss?

On Feb 4, 11:01*am, "C & E" wrote:
I know that the answer in relative terms is 'yes', but in practical terms
can I wrap insulation around my three year old water heater and make a
noticeable difference? *If so, what kind of insulation?

Many years ago, in the '70's, I installed a remote swith to the water heater
at the toop of the stairs. *Before going off to work and at bedtime I turned
off the electricity going to it. *I also wrapped the tank in 3.5" of
fiberglass insulation. *It made a huge difference in our electric bill but I
understand that I'm talking about a huge difference between the two tanks..
OK, be gentle. *I have a bad...
well, I can't think of anything that isn't bad! *TIA, Chuck.

Before I switched over to gas I connected a usage meter to my water
heater. The device measures the amount of time the heater is on and
when it comes on. I was surprised by how few times it actually came on
while I was away. It only came on twice a day when I was not using hot
water. One of these was early in the morning so if I did the same
thing you were doing I would only benefit from one cycle. I think
these used about $0.07 of electricity each time. This does not equate
to 14 cents savings if it had been off because it is still going to
have to heat up all the water once you turn it on. I did have an
insulating blanket on the water heater at the time but didnt try it
with and without it. MAybe I would have saved 3 cents a day.

Jimmie