Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Half nuts disengage by themselves

On 2010-02-04, Ed Huntress wrote:

And look for settled gunk in the apron.

Regarding taking off apron: I did try this once.

It did not work: the "carriage locking screw" would not unscrew all
the way.

I did not want to force it and I had other issues, so I gave up and
moved on to other things, but now is the time to look at it.

The carriage locking screw connects to a plate under the carriage, so
that when you tighten it it grabs the bed.

The screw unscrews, but stops midway and I wanted to know if I am
doing something wrong or should just use a bit more force.

Good question. I hope someone who knows your lathe can give you an answer,
because it would be a bugger to strip a special screw trying to find out.

--
Ed Huntress