Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Dyeing grey squirrel fur insitu

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:56:45 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:11:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
It's just us wondering whether we in an urban garden are overrun with
the blighters or if there are just a few that repeatedly make it back to
our patio to dig up bulbs. If I could mark and identify one, I could
give it a name ...

They are determined little buggers - even when food isn't short. I
sometimes put out those fat balls for the birds - and despite them being
in a very well attached strong cage they'll spend ages trying to get to
them. I've got more of a problem with foxes who love to s**t in the front
garden. Gawd knows what it must be like living in the country.
[shudder] ;-)

A friends daughter is still having nightmares a few months after
finding a rotting dead squirrel inside the squirrel proof bird feeder
she was about to refill. It had been there a couple of weeks or so and
was a bit 'ripe'

The only real solution to bushy tailed rats is a few hours with a gun,
or live traps and then a gun. Quite nice eating apparently but I've
not tried one yet. The day I accidentally trap a red is the day I
look forward to, not because I fancy some posh fur gloves but because
we've probably eliminated the foreign invader locally.

If you do try to handle a squirrel, wear v. thick gloves. I picked up a
sick/injured one that was on the floor just inside a friend's conservatory
and, of course, it bit me.
My gloves were OK for handling bramble and hawthorn, but the bite still
bruised my hand - and hurt!
The squirrel died within the hour - I still wonder how hard a healthy
squirrel could bite (but I'm not volunteering my nuts!).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.