Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

On 2010-02-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
For general use, I like the #16N:

http://www.aloris.com/index.php/pages/Aloris%20Catalog.html

Yikes! Toolholder $181, chipbreaker 2 x $24 (R & L), carbide shim $7,
carbide inset $6.50 (min order 10): $242.50 (1 shim, 1 insert).

The BXA-16N Tool holder *comes* with everything but the
inserts, which you want to select for your own needs. Those prices
apply if you have to buy replacements because you have damaged them
somehow. So far, several years and no damage to anything but an insert
or two, which are expendables anyway.

Too rich for me,

Granted -- the $181.00 is not cheap -- and it cost less when I
bought mine from MSC.

Hmm ... their (MSC's) price is currently $200.00 --
significantly more than I paid for mine. And I haunted eBay for a while
looking for one, but dropped out whenever a used one came within about
15% of the MSC *new* price (and they usually closed *above* the new
price), so I decided that the new price was what I was going to have to
pay.

Consider that it takes the place of *two* normal holders.

I have not regretted the purchase, as it is used more than any
other tool (being good for both facing and turning with one holder).
The extended holder (BXA-13) usually holds the insert threading tool.
And that one is only $101.00.

What size of lathe are you running? AXA are somewhat less
expensive, and if smaller than an AXA will fit, you can't find the
special tools anyway.

Oh yes -- can you *find* the Armstrong type tool holders new
these days? If so -- what do *they* cost?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564