Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Default Pellet stoves?

Tony wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Feb 1, 9:09 am, terry wrote:
Friend has been extolling the virtues of a pellet stove owned
and operated by his relative.
He says that it uses about one bag of pellets per-day; which
cost about $5-$6 per bag. $150 to $180 per month? There are
occasionally shortage of fuel pellets. Disposing of the small
amount of ash is very easy and not messy. The stove requires a
small amount of electrcity to operate (drive the auger). Not
sure if it also has any warm air circulating fan?

Interested in any other comments or experience with these pellet
stoves. Thanks.

How big of a house? I pay that to heat my 2000 sq. ft. house with
high priced oil these days. I have a wood burning stove and it was
nice when I was able to get wood for free and I was 30 years younger
when I put it in so the labor was no big deal. I like the idea of an
alternate heat source in case of a storm, but a pellet stove still
need electricity.

I'd do a careful evaluation of the potential BTU cost before spending
a lot of money on a stove.

If I bought a pellet stove I'd also buy a 12vdc deep cycle battery,
float type charger, and an inverter. I think most stoves you can turn
off the external fan, then the internal fan, auger feed, and
electronics doesn't use too much power. On second thought, maybe I'd
just run the generator and a few portable heaters and forget the
pellet stove?

Electricity in our area has been very reliable - I can only think of one
winter outage that lasted more than an hour. The pellet stove obviously
went out, so I started a log fire in LR fireplace. If long winter outagges
are common in your area, then your stove dealer will probably recommend a
UPS with power enough to run the stove for several hours. It's probably
more likely that he'll sell you a wood stove. Most other heating systems
require electricity for ignition and/or heat circulation.

Keith