Posted to rec.woodworking
Knot Important Knot Important is offline

Default Saw blade charpening

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:42:19 -0800, RonB wrote:

As others have said, check around. Look in local yellow pages for
sharpening, saw sharpening, etc. If there is a cabinet shop or
contractor available ask if they have theirs sharpened. When we lived
in Wichita, a local private lumber yard chain provided sharpening
services through a lady who lived in a nearby town. You dropped them
off and picked them up a few days later. When I figured out where they
sent them it was easy to check that town's yellow pages and I had some
done directly.

Where we live now, I am fortunate to have located a gentleman who does
excellent work and a very reasonable price. In many cases he provides
overnight service.

Word to the wise! When you locate a source, don't drop all of your
blades at once. Ease in with one or two blades, and if satisfied get
some more done. I responded to a "recommendation" several years ago and
the person screwed up about 1/2-dozen blades.

Good advice. If you lived in Wichita and had good luck with the service
I am guessing the blades ended up being sharpened by a shop in
McPherson. I don't remember the name of the place though.
After a few hit and misses we started using the place and would send them
about a dozen blades per month. They could do real miracles with cheap
blades and absolute marvel on the nicer blades. We could send them good,
high quality blades and they would come back cutting better and pulling
less power then when they were brand new! And they did an exceptional
job on planer and shaper cutters, too.