Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Transition from 5/16 to 3/4 floor

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I have 5/16" top nailed oak floors in the dining room.

I'm about the install a new floor in the adjacent kitchen. The kitchen
and the dining area are not separated by a wall. It's basically one space.

I will go with 3/4" floors in the kitchen. I would like to have a smooth
transition from the dining area (5/16) to the kitchen area (12/16) over
two or three (2") board widths. My question is this: how does one mill
pieces like that? (2" wide x let's say 6' long x slanted variable height).

Milling a piece gives you the most flexibility. Do you have a bandsaw? You
can set up a tapered resaw cut on a bandsaw. Keep the original side up, let
the cut side be on the bottom to minimize having to plane or sand smooth.

But there are other methods I have used. First, most flooring systems have
transition pieces available. If your chosen floor does not, you can still
check the stock at Home Depot and see if something from a similar floor
could be used, although you would have to refinish it to match.

Or, you can install an additional piece(s) of the 5/16" flooring (if you
have any) and shim up the far side to match the 3/4" floor. Once you have
everything set up, set that piece of flooring in thin set to provide a solid
base. That's the way I did the transition into the marble foor in my master
bath, which was much thicker than the bamboo in the bedroom. I cut 5" wide
pieces of marble and matched the heights to each floor and shimmed and
grouted. Very nice smooth transition over 5".

--
Dennis