Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Two parties

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Remember the maxims:
"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away!" or
"I carry a pistol because I can't carry a cop" or
"I have a weapon for exactly the same reason a policeman does - no
more, no less"

There is a bit of a distinction to that final statement and one
that they make very clear to people taking CCW courses. The police
carry to protect themselves and others. The private citizen OTOH
carries to protect himself [and those near and dear to him]. Private
citizens are under no obligation to become involved in a crime scene
other than as a good witness, they may choose to become involved if
they believe that someone's life is in danger. Police are obligated
to become involved, even if it puts them in personal danger.

Nope. Police are not obligated, by law, custom, or common sense to become
involved. They often do but only because of their personal nature. My
training sergeant told me you always drive slowly to a "fight in progress"
call and hope it's over with by the time you get there.

On the other hand, there are those - police and civilian - who will rush to
the sound of the guns.